Skip to main content

Imagewear





This it the Imagewear top pattern I made. It looks like a wide neckline on the pattern and it is.
 This is my iteration of the top. It is a little wide and I need to adjust the shoulders slightly and take out a wedge - about 2 cm at the neckline to nothing at the sleeve head. You can just see that the neckline is also a little wobbly with the bias edging. I think I stretched it out when I was doing it but that should fix up when I fix the shoulders. I really only made this up as a wearable muslin... they put in elastic in the waist and the sleeves - I didn't want it pouffy around my waist (I have natural pouff) and I cut the sleeves short. They look tight but they aren't. I love the fabric... just an end of roll from Spotlight last year. I also love it with my white jeans ($3 at Kmart one day and the fabric is very nice - score). Sorry about the stupid look, odd angle and sloppy hair but the camera kept saying the battery was out and shut down. I was over it by this time.

I can't remember what size I made, as I had it mostly made before finishing the painting, but when my flight to Sydney was delayed by 4 hours, I decided to finish it and take it with me. The instructions are pretty basic but this is also a basic top. I put the sleeves in flat and then did the side seams. I seem to get better results like this. This was the third time I had done a binding on a neckline and it worked out well other than the stretching. It's a bit like a swing type top (or others may mistake it as a preggy top). It is comfortable and now I will decide if I make it in some other fabric. I really want to make the trousers too but tracing puts me off.

 While I was in Auckland I popped into The Fabric Store too. There was lots of nice fabrics there but I only bought a few remnant pieces of knit solids.. just cottons. There was lots of merino wools but they were still $20 or more per metre and I just don't need it right now. I did buy some knit solids at my favourite fabric shop Centrepoint Fabrics in Newmarket. They have a fabulous selection of fabrics and there is parking in the back. I have some plans for some of those knits.

Below I've added some more photos from our New Zealand trip. These are all from the Auckland Museum and War Memorial. It is a great museum and you must visit if you go to Auckland. They have some fantastic Maori displays, traditional shows etc and a great display of older times - there is a whole town including bar, shops, homes etc. There is a great display of war history and our favourite is the volcano display. They have a lounge room set up in a 'home'. When you go in the tv starts with a news report that volcano activity has been recorded and recommending Aucklanders leave. They show people leaving, the problems with mass evacuation and finally the 'house' shakes violently and the power goes out. On the screen door in front, which has shown a beautiful vista of one of the bays, shows activity and then the volcano erupts and in an instant you are overwhelmed by the ash. It is pretty dramatic and realistic and a bit shocking. Apparently Aucklanders are pretty casual about their volcano evacuation plans and the government is making a concerted effort to get people prepared. They estimate between a number of weeks and days notice should activity recorded turn to eruption.

This is inside the Maori Marae in the museum. 

This is the 'screen door' from the volcano display. This has just changed to the eruption view, then it just gets bigger and ash etc rushed up and everything goes black. Then they show the 'after' view.. which is same vista covered in ash.

Town view from other times... I've included the drapers!

This aircraft was erected in the museum before the room was finished so it would fit. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit