Skip to main content

U.F.Os.

I'm sure everyone has UFOs (unfinished objects). I think for every assignment I needed to distract myself from, I made started a new sewing project! Hence, I have had quite a few. This has now been rectified. I present:
(sorry it is formatting strangely after I post but the preview is fine)
Edit: Just wanted to add - all stash fabrics!  1. First up isn't really a true UFO but it needed to be done! This is the t-shirt that the owner of York Street Mechanic's in Auckland gave my son - he loves it but as a 9 y.o boy he is like "YUK!" at the boobies. So I made a slight modification below. I realise just now that's the photo with the pin in it, but all I did was zig zag around the bikini top and one boy happy again!





2. I had Butterick 5744 half made. I made it out of a light weight quilting cotton as a test run for the silk my friend bought for me in Vietnam. You can see the adjustments listed on the envelope and I have more on the instructions. It isn't a perfect fit. I think I forgot to add some length to the front bodice when I tucked a bit in the front so it pulls up at the front a bit higher than my waist and it looks a litre short in the bodice - I am very short waisted too. I would add a few centimetres of length to the skirt on my next one and made some more adjustments to the bodice - it's a little wide in the back neck so I may make an 8 for the back and 10 for the front grading to 14 at the waist. The skirt is really a good size - that's a 14 for this one.  From the back the skirt on the left side of the screen looks like I've hooked it under my arm or in the belt or something but it does sit straight.

I lined the bodice which is a first for me. I really like it. I used a very fine cotton voile I had on hand and it is very comfortable. This was good practice as the silk is white and I have bought some silk lining for it too. I didn't line the skirt because it doesn't need it. I love this dress. It is a very easy sew and it is very comfortable. It isn't perfect but I can see me making more of these and I think the fabric will disguise the use of the same pattern.



















3. Simplicity 5128. I made a top from a remnant from the Fabric Store in Auckland. This is not a very flattering photo - I know but I was already wearing the white jeans so just took the photo (should have cropped it!). Anyway, this top is a little short but it was the whole length of the fabric but I think I'll add another colour strip on the bottom to make it decent. I love the fabric and the colour. A medium weight cotton knit. I lowered the neckline depth by about 3 cm as I don't like it so high on my larger bust. I t could go down another couple of cms I think. I have a royal blue remnant of the same length (both had a huge hole - like 20cm diameter - so I had to work around that) with another strip added on the bottom. I love this top too. Perfect casual but smart looking top for running errands. I wear it with a striped maxi skirt.






4. Butterick 3490. I bought this second hand and wanted to see the fit. I used a remnant that I bought at Spotlight a few years ago in Rockhampton. I didn't put the elastic in the waist and the elastic around the neckline is a little too long but I love this top. It is cool and comfortable and I normally wear it with some red jeans. I finished the edges with rolled hem on my overlocker and just quartered the elastic and stretched it out and sewed it on with a triple zig zag stitch. Quick and easy.









5. No photos, but I used this pattern late one night to make my son some more school shorts. Suddenly the old ones were just too tight and too short. I used some polo shirt fabric I bought at East Coast Fabrics at Springwood for $2 per metre! It is a bottle green. I bought 2 metres at the time and have made 4 pairs of trousers and 2 pairs of shorts. The trousers have been cut now to make shorts as they won't be long enough next winter. This is a really great pattern. When I placed the pattern pieces on the fabric it looked like the grain line was off but I trusted it and went ahead. They are a really great fit and so easy to whip up. It's quicker making boys shorts than getting in the car and going to the shops, as I've said before.



 6. This is a Butterick pattern too.

  I started this last summer and I just had to add facings and hem the sleeves and bottom. There was something wrong with the facings, I don't know what but they seemed short but they were as per the pattern piece. I think I may have marked the large pleat in the front wrong so I re pleated it to fit the facing. I made view A with fabric that looks very similar to view B. I really like the coolness of this fabric (Japanese cotton voile bought at Lincraft a few years ago) but I can't help thinking "pyjama fabric". What do you think - does it say top or pyjamas to you?

I have two more UFOs to show you. Both are Ottobre patterns. There are a couple more UFOs that won't get finished however - not unless I go down a size or two and that won't happen in a hurry. I have got a pair of Amazing Fit (Simplicity 1918) pants cut out but I'm not sewing them up until I get the other 2 UFOs finished.  More to come!

Comments

Vanessa said…
Wow! You really made some great progress!! I especially like the Butterick 3490 top, and the modifications you made on it. Great job.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Vanessa, I'm really enjoying having time to sew finally! Sofie
Rosi said…
Wow you almost have a whole new wardrobe finishing off those UFOs! I don't think your last top looks like pyjamas. I really like your dotty wrap dress. Looks like a great pattern and will love seeing your silk version. The bikini top is too cute!
Kristy Chan said…
Good on you for getting so many UFOs across the finishing line. I haven't created any new ones in a while but I do have a big box of unfinished projects that will take a long time to get through! That floral fabric in the last photo is lovely, definitely not pajama like at all
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Rosi, my friend keeps asking when I'm going to make it but we can appreciate the fear of ruining beautiful silk without a test garment first.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Kristy. I'm pretty chuffed to get them out of the way. I just remembered some more today - darn! I'm glad the consensus is that last top is not pyjama fabric!
WOW.. You have made some cute clothes.. I love that polka dot dress.looks so nice on you.. and the tops are so cute.. Happy sewing.

Popular posts from this blog

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit