I'm making some trousers... Burda 7441. I bought this pattern at Make It Fabrics at Logan about 6 months ago for $5. Not an op shop price but good for a Burda pattern. They are a lovely pair of trousers... welt pockets at the back and slant pockets at the front with a curved waistband, a lovely looking leg and a single large pleat at each side. (A lot like the Papercut Patterns Guise Pants without the elastic back). I'm not sure I need a couple of big pleats at my pot belly but I'm making them out of that .50c piece of cotton fabric I got at the fabric sale last fortnight, so nothing lost but a number of hours if they don't work out. When I say don't work out... of course I mean "won't fit". I think I've made a size 16 (or 18) for my well endowed rear and tum, but the legs are looking a little narrow. I'm using a remnant of cotton quilting fabric I bought at Spotlight for a few dollars. Perfect for contrast fancy pockets, particularly when there was not really enough fabric just for the trousers. I'll show you what I had to piece later.
As I said, I had so little fabric I couldn't even cut the under pocket thing with the extension (this is the first pattern I have with these pockets and I likey) so I just cut the under pocket as a whole piece (see below) and cut a piece to sew on the top on the right side for the part that will be seen. I've done this once before for a pair of my son's shorts because of the same lack of fabric.
These are the pleated fronts with the pockets done. Can't see that pocket lining at all! I've done the zip already too. That's another post because of the different types of instructions Burda gave. I wasn't going to do it their way, but
Have you noticed anything different about the fabric. It is so creased! When I washed it after the burn test (cotton) it creased up immediately and no manner of ironing gets it much better than you see. I kind of like it... if they fit, they'll be my travel pants! Why isn't all cotton creased? Oh I shall miss that ironing... not! The thing I can't work out is how they stay creased when the burn test showed clearly this fabric is cotton... just some ash left.
When I make the crotch curve I clip first and then overlock while keeping the seam straight so the clipped parts open up .. I used to clip last but the overlocking gets messed up so I figured this was neater. It lets the seam open up nicely.
This is what the inside pocket looks like. The colours here are the most accurate.
This is the pocket close up - no peaking of the lining there!
The pockets on the inside of the front.
Better photo of the pleated front.
Oooh, my welts. Meet left welt and right welt. Not bad ... I haven't made welts since about 1996 I think.
Close up shows they are not perfect. I used Poppykettle's tutorial.. Thanks Melanie. Although I used only the first half the tutorial because the pocket bag was two piece for the Burda pattern and Melanie used the same piece. I kind of made my own way as the Burda way was different from the start so I couldn't mix the two ways. Maybe the ironing will help later?
I love the way the welt is right through the middle of the dart that is made first. I also love the crease of the fabric right through the middle of it too!
This is the inside finished back pocket.
I've done the zip and then I pinned the side seams up but I had to go to my son's last play in primary school. I have my secret project to finish up tomorrow (if it works out, but I'll show you either way) and then I'll finish up these trousers. I've got a dress and top made to still show, plus a simple dress that hasn't worked but I can fix, but no photographer and I keep forgetting to take the photos myself. It's the last week of primary school for my boy so it's a busy week.
Thanks for all the nice comments on my last post and in the last few weeks. I know it's a drag to post comments sometimes but like most, I love hearing your thoughts.